Grabbing a good night’s sleep is one of the best gifts that you can give yourself. You may think that what harm one less hour of sleep can make! Well according to the experts the answer is “quite a lot”!
Studies have revealed the lacking sufficient amount of sleep not only makes you less productive but also takes a toll on your mood and your overall health and also increases you level of stress.
If you are getting less than the recommended seven or eight hours of naps per night, here are some reasons that will help you realise why shutting down the computer and going to bed early is more important than you think.
Just read on.
- Improve Memory – As you snooze, your mind is astoundingly busy. During the sleep, you can strengthen memories or practice skills learned while you were awake. This process is known as consolidation. At the time when you are learning something new something happens during sleep that helps you to do it better. So, if you want to improve your memory one of the first things that you need is ample amount of sleep.
- Improved Health – It is true that a good night’s sleep won’t grant you immunity against disease. But studies have revealed that there is a link between inadequate sleep and some serious health issues like heart attacks, heart ailments, obesity and diabetes. It is only after years that the health risks from sleep loss start to reveal themselves. Several studies have been conducted on the effects of insufficient sleep and it has been revealed that after just three or four days of insufficient sleep can make pre-diabetic symptoms surface in any human body.
- Get a Healthy Weight – The link between sleep and weight has been brought forward by several studies conducted over the ages. One research has revealed that losing even 30 minutes of sleep per night can make you gain weight and slow down your metabolism rate and affect your level of insulin.
- Live Longer – Too much sleep can be associated with a shorter lifespan, although whether it is a cause or an effect is not clear. In 2010, research has revealed that amongst women more deaths occurred to those grabbing more than six a half hours and less than 5 hours of sleep between the ages of 50 and 79 years every night. So in order to live better, it is essential that you sleep better.
- Reduce Pain – If you have chronic pain or severe ache form a recent injury, grabbing sufficient amount of sleep can actually help you to heal and reduce your discomfort. There are many studies that have shown a link between lower pain threshold and sleep loss. Studies conducted on this have revealed that getting good amount of sleep can supplement the medication for pain. If you are keeping up at night for pain, then there are also medications available that combine a sleep aid with a pain reliever.
- Decrease Stress – Get sufficient amount of sleep and whatever stress is bothering you will not seem to be so much impossible or insurmountable anymore. Sleeping helps a body to relax and helps it to unwind without being overwhelmed by worry.
- Uplifts Mood – Getting ample amount of sleep won’t guarantee that you will be all smiles and in a constant joyful mood. But you, most probably, get more likely to be cranky when you are exhausted. Moreover, not getting sufficient amount of sleep affects your emotional regulations, too. So, when you are over-tired you can also over-react at the smallest provocation and suffer through a persistent depressed mood.
- Spur Creativity – Apart from consolidating your memories, a good night’s sleep can also trigger creativity in you by reconstructing and restructuring your thoughts. The emotional components of memory during sleep may also spur the process of creativity.
- Perform Better Physically – It has been revealed through research that players who slept for 10 hours every night for at least seven weeks run faster and display improved accuracy in whatever they do.
The above are some of the reasons why sleeping more at night is essential. If you are not able to sleep at night or have any conditions like sleep apnea you should see the doctor without delay who can help you with proper treatment and suggest medication and medical appliances like oral appliance for sleep apnea so that you can sleep for hours together and wake up fresh in the morning ready to take the world in your stride.