WHAT IS KIDNEY TRANSPLANT?
Kidney Transplant is a surgical process in which a diseased kidney is replaced with a healthy kidney taken from a live or a deceased donor.
Kidney’s function is to remove excess fluid and waste from the blood. When it loses this filtering ability, a dangerous level of fluid and debris accumulate in the body (known as end-stage kidney disease or kidney failure).
A kidney transplant is usually the best way to treat kidney failure. Only one kidney is needed to replace two failed kidneys.
Kidney Transplant in India is provided by highly qualified doctors using cutting-edge technology and treatment methods. India has outweighed many western countries when it comes to the quality of the treatment and the cost-effectiveness.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE?
A kidney transplant is used in case of kidney failure or end-stage kidney disease. This is a situation in which both of your kidneys fail to filter the excess fluid and waste from the blood. People with kidney failure have two options: one is Dialysis (have waste removed from their bloodstream), and second is to undergo Kidney Transplantation to stay alive.
PRIMARY CAUSES OF KIDNEY FAILURE
- Chronic, uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Chronic Glomerulonephritis (scarring of the tiny filters within the kidneys)
If kidney disease cannot be managed by proper diet, treatment, and medication, you might be a candidate for kidney transplant.
RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE PROCEDURE
Like any other surgery, kidney transplant also has few risks associated with it. These are:
- Rejection of the donated kidney
- Failure of the donated kidney
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE PROCEDURE?
To undergo this procedure, first you will be needed to find a Transplant Center. While choosing a Center gather the following information:
- The number and type of transplants the center performs annually
- The survival rates at the center after the transplant
- Additional services provided by the transplant center
After selecting a transplant center, you will be examined by the team of doctors so as to determine whether you are a viable candidate to undergo this surgery or not.
The center will determine the following:
- If you have any medical conditions that will lead to a decrease in the chances of transplant success
- Whether you are willing to take medications as prescribed by your doctor and follow the suggestions of the transplant team
- Whether you are healthy enough to undergo surgery and further tolerate post-transplant medications for the rest of your life
KIDNEY TRANSPLANT IN INDIA
The kidney transplant program in India is currently the second largest program after the USA. It has outweighed many western countries when it comes to the quality of the treatment and the cost-effectiveness.
This has been made possible only because of the highly qualified doctors using cutting-edge technology and treatment methods.
The success rate of this surgery in India is 98%. Moreover, India provides an affordable treatment of kidney which starts from USD 7000 which is just a fraction of the cost in other countries like the USA. Although, this cost may vary from hospitals to hospitals, expertise of the surgeon, infrastructure, services availed, etc.
I am Pooja Sharma and I am a content writer. I have a good experience in health articles, after completing my study, I started my career as a blogger and as a writer.